Did you solve your slow Internet connection on Ubuntu 8.1?

Recently I am facing a slow Internet connection problem on my newly installed Ubuntu 8.1.

Let me describe the problems first:

During the first couple days of using newly installed Ubuntu, I have no problem and the Internet is as fast as in Vista. But after a couple of updates, the Internet speed changes dramatically. As I noticed the mainly change is the browsing speed not the download speed. It needs at least 1 minute to open gmail.

I tried several methods to improve the browsing speed, like disable IPV6; switch to another browser,like Opera,Swiftweasel; install dnsmasq and change the MTU value; as suggested but none of them work on my case.


Untill today, I find a solution from http://www.prash-babu.com/2008/04/how-to-configure-dns-servers-in-linux.html

It really works for me, so I want to introduce it to you, if you are facing the same problem like me. Why not try?

Do the following steps to configure DNS servers in Ubuntu:

Step 1:Go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type
sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
Step 2:Go to the end of the file and add the following line to the END of the file
prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
Step 3:Save the file and close it.
Step 4:Use the following command to restart your network
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Step 5: Open your favorite browser to check whether works or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Datatable static image not found on the server

When you use ```datatables.min.css``` and ```datatables.min.js``` locally, instead of datatables CDN, you may have encountered that ```sort...