Install Nvidia Driver on Ubuntu Box

I noticed that Xorg process is taking too much of the CPU in my UBuntu box. I suspect that the video driver for my Nvidia graphy card may be not good. So I started to try other versions of drivers in hope to find a better one.
# obtain graphy card information
lspci | grep -i vga
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [Quadro NVS 295] (rev a1)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [Quadro NVS 295] (rev a1)
Before installing I add the X Ubuntu Updates team PPA repository
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
1. Removing all the old Nvidia drivers
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
2. Install the nvidia drivers.
# verify which nvidia package are available
apt-cache search nvidia | sort
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates
# After installation run the following command to initiate the configuration:
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Datatable static image not found on the server

When you use ```datatables.min.css``` and ```datatables.min.js``` locally, instead of datatables CDN, you may have encountered that ```sort...