Dell H310 RAID Controller

My workstation running CentOS 6.7 hangups unexpected recently every since I re-imaged it. A little improvement has been seen by adding "elevator=noop" to the boot parameter. But it does not fix the source of the problem.
I has always been suspecting the raid controller, Dell H310. First I tried updating the firmware without any improvement. To update firmware in Linux, you could use Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie) to create a FreeDOS bootable USB driver and put the windows version of the firmware to the USB driver.
All these fixes did not eliminate the problem from source, I wrote an email to Dell support. Finally, I got confirmed from Dell tech support that "....While the controller can do RAID 5, we in tech support really only recommend RAID 0 or RAID 1 with that controller....."
After changing to RAID 0 and running a month now, I have never encountered the hangup again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Datatable static image not found on the server

When you use ```datatables.min.css``` and ```datatables.min.js``` locally, instead of datatables CDN, you may have encountered that ```sort...